All India IEEE Computer Society Students Young Professionals Congress 2017 – Chennai
The 7th edition of All India IEEE Computer Society Students Young Professionals Congress (AICSSYC) was held at SSN College of Engineering, Chennai during 17-19 December 2017. The event was organized by IEEE Computer Society and co-sponsored by IEEE MGA Young Professionals, IEEE Region 10 Young Professionals, IEEE MGA Women in Engineering, IEEE MGA Student Activities Committee, IEEE Region 10 Student Activities Committee. The program served as a platform for 200+ students and Young Professional participants all around India to collaborate, network and enhance their technical knowledge of Artificial Intelligence & Machine Learning.
Day 1: Ice Breaking & Inauguration
On the first day of the Congress, an inter-section badminton match was organized as an ice-breaking activity for the participants. The participants had an exciting networking experience with the participants from other Sections and had a lot of fun.
The Congress was formally inaugurated by the following dignitaries.
- Roger Fujji, Past President of IEEE Computer Society
- Eric Berkowitz, Membership Director, IEEE Computer Society
- MA Atmanand, Chair, IEEE Madras Section
- HR Mohan, Vice-Chair, IEEE Madras Section
- S Salivahanan, Principal, SSN College of Engineering, Chennai
- T Sree Sharmila, Student Branch Counselor, SSN College of Engineering, Chennai
- Prasanth Mohan, Program Chair, AICSSYC 2017
As part of the inauguration ceremony, the winners of Richard E Merwin student leadership scholarship were facilitated. The inauguration was followed by a cultural performance of the host.
Key note talks from 3 of the eminent speakers Mr. Shri Ram Viswanathan (IBM Distinguished Engineer), Mr. Girish Mathrubootham (CEO, Freshworks) & Ms. Visalini (World record holder for highest IQ) inspired the attendees of the program. The first day concluded with a banquet dinner and an informal fun activity hosted by YP volunteers.
Day 2: Technical Talks on AI & ML
The second day of the Congress kick-started with an early morning local tour to shore temple and beach at Mahabalipuram, Chennai (UNESCO heritage site). The tour served as an opportunity for the delegates to network with each other, enjoying the sunrise at the beach.
Engaging sessions by the following speakers focused on the theme of the Congress ‘Artificial Intelligence & Machine Learning’ excited the participants throughout the day.
- Pradeep Gullipali (Co-founder, Tiger Analytics)
- Venkatesh Sarangan, (Principal Scientist, TCS)
- Ram Tilak, (Data Scientist, HP Singapore)
- Narayanan (Product Engineer, Invention labs)
- Mohan Shivam, (Founder & CEO, GAMASOME)
- Prathyusha Karamjugudda (Co-founder, Muse wearables)
- Ramprakash Ramamoorthy (Member, Leadership staff, Zoho labs)
The traditional lunch with local cuisines was a surprise delight for all the participants. Post the sessions, a gala cultural night and DJ was organized by the hosts. Attendees exhibited their talents through dance, songs and various art forms. The evening was one amazing experience for the participants, encompassing memories to cherish forever.
Day 3: Professional development & volunteering with IEEE
On final day, the much-awaited talks related to professional development and volunteering with IEEE, the largest technical professional organization were delivered by the following speakers:
- Nivas Ravichandran (IEEE Region 10 Young Professionals Coordinator)
- Anand Balu (Former co-program leader, Startup Leadership Program)
- Madhan Karky (Indian Lyricist & Researcher)
- Rajendra Dhandapani (Director of Engineering, Zoho)
- Pavithra Balakrishnan (Founder & Product Director, Galvanize)
- Shyaam Subramanian (Chief People Officer, Teach For India)
- Senthil (CEO, GeeksUp)
- Eric Berkowitz (Membership Director, IEEE Computer Society)
- Roger Fujii (Past President, IEEE Computer Society)
Parallel Tracks: Merwin Ambassadors Meet & IEEE CS Student Chapter Exhibition
A formal meeting for Merwin ambassadors was organized as a parallel session. 17 student/YP ambassadors across India attended the meeting to brainstorm on the various projects that they execute to engage the IEEE CS members in the region. IEEE CS Student Chapter exhibition was hosted to amplify the best practices/events to engage the student members. Several student chapters across India participated in the exhibition. IEEE CS Chapter of VIT Vellore was announced as the winners and received a cash prize of $150.
Before the closing ceremony, the launch of the CSIS website took place. Mr. Roger Fujii & Mr. Eric Berkowitz appreciated and facilitated all the volunteers who were responsible for the success of the AICSSYC with certificates of appreciation. IEEE CS Compute newsletter team volunteers were also applauded during the closing ceremony. The program received wonderful feedback from the participants. It was an incredible experience for the Young Professionals, to improve their networking experience and professional skills. AICSSYC ignited the spark on the Young Professionals to contribute more to the community.